Select from the menu at left to learn more about Prominent persons in Crete , Cretan Dances , Crete Aquarium , Crean Music Instruments and Crete Fauna and Flora!
Here you will find many informations and pictures of Crete about... archaeological sites, gorges, caves, plateaus and unknown places, beaches and palm beaches, towns and villages, chirches and monasteries and more...
General informations about Crete
- Crete, Land of Daidalos and Ikaros.
- Of Minoan vases and famous frescoes.
- Shinning and starlit, with its black baggy breeches and fringed kerchiefs.
- Romantic Crete, with its sea, rocks and gleaming plateaus.
- Crete, land of full-bodied wine and pungent tsipouro.
- Sleepless Crete, land of endless feats under star-studded skies.
- Crete, scented with wild fennel and fresh basil.
- Dizzying Crete, of the warlike dances.
- Crete, home of El Greco, Kornaros, Kazantzakis and Prevelakis.
- Crete, whose door is always wide open to both East and West.
- The dream of Crete, where a person might soar in flight.
The island, the largest in Greece, separates the Aegean from the Libyan sea, marks the boundary between Europe and Africa. Majestic mountains, Priorities, Dirty. Its plateaus are split by deep gorges and end up in fertile valleys.
The scenery is constantly changing. In one place harsh and barren, in another wooded and gentle.
Its villages smothered in greenery. Olive trees, orange groves, vineyards, early vegetable market gardens.
Old stone farmhouses, monasteries and villages perched on mountain ridges, castles and chapels forgotten on steep slopes. Shores lined with forbidding rocks, often inaccessible, but also lots of endless sandy or pebbly beaches. Crete is also renowned for its flora and fauna. Its massifs are home to the Cretan wild goat, locally known as kri-kri, a symbol of the free spirit of Cretans.